What being Foreign means to Me

>> Tuesday, February 22, 2011


Accommodate, adjust, 'getting used to', acclimate, and 'fitting in' are words and phrases that people use when they talk about moving somewhere different. I think these words really become meaningful and (sometimes) even daunting. There are so many new things I've experienced since moving here and I have to say I've used every, single one of these words and phrases to describe so many of these experiences.

Unfortunately, these words and phrases also imply that in some way I will always be a foreigner as long as I live here. To some, this might sound scary and unwelcoming, and I have to admit there were times when I first moved here that it was, in fact, scary and unwelcoming. Scary in the terms of simple, everyday things becoming large chores when learning a new language. Unwelcoming because the German culture is so different than American culture (especially the deep south), meaning that Germans are distant and cold when you first meet them, you may not get a 'Have a nice day' when finishing up some shopping, or just dealing with the fact that I now live in a city of 1.3 million people (it's easy to feel a bit lost).

It is amazing how time changes first impressions and feelings such as these. Yes, I will always be a foreigner here, but I've discovered that isn't a bad thing! I'm interesting to a lot of people, people want to talk and ask questions. People are accommodating (see? that word again!) to my dodgy German. I'm looking at cultures, experiences, and my life drastically different, and most importantly I've made wonderful, beautiful, interesting friends (they are open, genuine, trustworthy, funny, and loving). The bottom line is, I belong here and I'm having the time of my life! Because, when it is all said and done, foreigner or not, I belong here, I'm welcomed here, and this is my home. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else and I would not trade this experience for anything in the world.

From when I first moved here until today I've had a lot of ups and downs. I've wondered if it was really worth it, and I have even thought if going back to the US would be easier. I'm so glad that the moments of being down and unsure of myself were short-lived (VERY short lived) because I couldn't be happier.

So, I guess the point of all this is (yes, I had one) is that the words and phrases that describe being a foreigner are definitely accurate, but they are no longer relevant to me. I would rather say discovering, living, being, and 'totally, completely happy' are better words and phrases to describe me as a foreigner. I'm proud of who I am, where I'm from, and definitely where I am and where I'm going... being a foreigner is not a bad thing.

Encourage, love, and support each other... no matter where they are!

xoxo... 'The Foreigner' signing off... hehehe :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP