Christmas with Parents and Landersdorfer und Innerhofer

>> Monday, January 3, 2011



My parents came to Munich for Christmas this year. The last time they were here was in March of 2009 and I think they were pretty amazed at how the city transforms itself during Christmas time. Holiday decorations are everywhere and Christmas markets of all kinds are set up in any and all available places. The smell of market food (sausages, potato pancakes, sweets, etc.) hangs heavily in the air and the intoxicating aroma of Glühwein (mulled wine) is so warming.

We all had our fair share of market food, Glühwein, beer, and all sorts of good meals throughout their trip, but my husband and I wanted to take my parents to a really special place. We chose Landersdorfer und Innerhofer. This restaurant is amazing, not to mention small. Not many tables are in the restaurant and the atmosphere is comfortable and high-end without being fussy. My husband and I had been here one time previously in the summer and knew we had to take my parents there. We were also able to invite a good friend along with us and she was more than happy to join us.

One of the things I find very special about Landersdorfer und Innerhofer is that there is no menu. Once you are seated and have an aperitif if you so choose (we chose) the waiter explains that there is nothing to choose from; however, if there is food that you would rather not have or that you cannot eat, then they will make sure what they prepare does not include those foods. I was so proud of my parents by saying that they would eat anything... I really believe that this is pretty adventurous when you have no idea what food will be coming to you.

My husband was handed a wine cart and with a few recommendations from the waiter (also a good friend of ours) we were ready for the meal to begin. Just a side note: I apologize for the lighting in the following photos. The room was a bit dark and using a flash in a restaurant is a big no-no in my book!

The first course we received was an amuse bouche (a small dish to begin the meal to get your tastebuds going). This was smoked Austrian ham on a cucumber salad and it was topped with a paper-thin slice of toasted focaccia (this is also the bread they serve with the entire meal and I could eat baskets of it).


This was a great start to the meal. The ham was at room temperature and the cucumber salad was just slightly cooled. The ham had a wonderful flavor and was not overpowering, which I can sometimes find to be the case with smoked ham.

The first 'official' course was warmed cabbage topped with grilled duck breast and it included a soft-boiled quail egg and small pieces of foie gras (goose liver). 


I think this was my favorite course of the meal. All of the elements came together beautifully and the flavors were delicate and powerful altogether.

The second course for us was salmon on a bed of cucumber and olives.


I really liked how these elements came together. The flavors were unique and exciting and this is a dish I probably would not have ordered on my own (salmon can be to rich for me). This was a great dish.

At this point the waiter asked if we would like an additional course before the main course. How could anyone resist?! The meal had been so good so far, we couldn't wait to get another course added in.

This course was freshly made pasta with artichokes and shrimp.


What an outrageous dish! The taste left me wanting more and the pasta was so good and so fresh I could eat this every day and never get tired of it.

Then during a pause before our main course (with more wine drinking and great conversation) we were served a palette cleanser of a basil sorbet served on top of sour cream and olive oil.


This was a great way to refresh our taste buds so we could prepare for more. The sorbet was nice and cold and the basil was such a strong, but not overpowering flavor.

Now, for the main course. We were all presented with filet of beef on a bed of red cabbage with a celeriac puree and pepper foam.


Wow! The beef was cooked perfectly and the puree was out-of-this-world delicious! Definitely a highlight of the meal.

Lastly we were asked if we would like something sweet or a cheese plate for dessert. We each chose what we wanted (I chose cheese) and we were given our choice.

The cheese plate. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the cheeses served, but I know that all of them were delicious.


And a couple of the others received a chocolate cake with a pear ice cream. It looked great, but no one shared with me! (I wonder why...)


This was a meal that we did not want to end. Everything was just perfect and I would not have changed one thing about it.

I would encourage anyone that is up for a meal like this and is in Munich to go to this restaurant. I must warn you, though... the price is not cheap. But, it is totally, absolutely worth it!

Here is the contact information:
Landersdorfer und Innerhofer
Hackenstraße 6
80331 Munich, Germany

Tel. 089 26018637
http://www.landersdorferundinnerhofer.de/


Definitely make a reservation!


Happy Eating!


P.S. If you visit their website you will notice that there is another branch called L&i. My husband and I have been here, too. The atmosphere is a bit younger and a bit more relaxed, but the food is just as good! Either restaurant will make for a great night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP