Mellow Mittwoch: First Memories

>> Wednesday, January 12, 2011


I've been doing a little reminiscing today... not for any particular reason, but that's what happens sometimes. Today I was thinking about my first memories and impressions of Munich and I thought I would share some of these memories today.

After my husband (boyfriend at the time) asked me to move Munich - and I accepted, of course - it was definitely a good idea for me to take a trip here just to get a glimpse of what I was getting into. This was a good idea; however, I now really believe that you look at a place differently once you move there. Not to say that I like (love) Munich better or worse now that I'm here. It's just different. That's all.

The process of moving here was so long and drawn out and it ended up that my husband ended up moving to Munich 6 months before I did. That means 6 months of sorting everything out for the move, like selling a house and cars, shipping our belongings halfway around the world, etc. Well, during this time is when I took my first trip over to Munich. I got on the plane and made the journey. My husband, of course, met me at the airport and we took the train into the city. My husband had not lived in Munich long, so he was still in a hotel. We got to the hotel and my first goal was to take a nap... I was exhausted and jet lagged.

After sleeping for an hour or so, our first adventure was walking through the English Garden. Although the picture above is from the English Garden in winter, our first adventure was in the middle of summer. It was warm, green and beautiful. I have this vivid memory of the green trees, rolling meadows, and so many people! Munich is a big city compared to where I'm from and to see so many people walking, riding bikes, playing sports, and hanging out at beer gardens was just overwhelming.

After our walk, it was time for some lunch. My husband took me to a restaurant where we sat outside. We ordered our food (well, my husband ordered for me, since I didn't speak one word of German) and we enjoyed our beer.

While we were talking, eating, and enjoying our day an elderly couple came to the restaurant. This couple had to have been in their 80s and they were both dressed well. They shortly (and quietly) discussed where they would sit and they ended up choosing the table across the aisle from us. The elderly man pulled out his wife's chair for her and she slowly lowered herself into the seat. He sat down across from her and the waiter came over. They ordered and waited. My husband and I both noticed them and I think I might have even said something like, 'they are so sweet'. After a few minutes the waiter came back over. I was fully expecting them to order some coffee, maybe even some wine, but no. They each ordered a large Weißbier (wheat beer). Once placed on their table, the glass was taller than the small elderly lady! Even so, they each raised their beers, clinked glassed, and took large sips. I distinctively remembering looking at my future husband and saying, 'That will be us in 60 years,' and his response was, 'Yep'.

This is such a great memory for me. It just connected so many aspects of my life at that moment and even today, like life in a new place can be exciting, different, and it holds so much potential. I can't tell you where my husband and I will be in 5 years or 10 years, but I know it will always be an adventure and we will still be enjoying our life and toasting to our wonderful memories and future possibilities.

Cherish your memories!

P.S. By the way, that was the trip in which my husband and I got engaged... I might have to tell that story sometime, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP