On German Beer

>> Tuesday, January 11, 2011


*This post is not meant to be nearly as long or as detailed to really discuss the history of German beer. I just wanted to write down a little bit of history I know and the things I have observed, being an expat. I believe I come from a culture that, in my opinion, thinks and treats beer (much less all alcohol) much differently than the culture here. There. I just had to get that out of the way.

I have found that German culture is one that is surrounded by beer. Social events, food, sports, leisure, almost  every event you can think of. When you start hearing about the extensive history behind it. I wouldn't even know how to begin a history of German beer and beer in Germany, but I do know a little bit. Like, there approximately 1300 breweries, and almost half of those are here in Bavaria. It is said that the oldest known brewery in the world is here in Bavaria (Weihenstephan) and its history can be traced back to 1040 A.D. Germany boasts the 'Reinheitsgebot' which is a purity law that states that beer can only contain water, hops, and barley-malt. This law was passed in 1487 and breweries today still produce beer following this law.

Because this culture is so ingrained in history and culture, it's no wonder that beer is everywhere. Where else in the world are there Biergarten (Beer Gardens), Beer Halls, and the biggest beer festival in the world (Oktoberfest). It's so refreshing (he he) to see beer as a part of society, and not to mention I think it's the best tasting beer in the world. I'll definitely be writing more about the culture and beer gardens, beer halls, and of course Oktoberfest.

Prost!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP